Today was a definitely a major
milestone in my steps to becoming a fully developed English teacher.
Simply put: I failed. Throughout my life I was taught in school that
failure was something to be avoided and that I should always strive
for perfection, but the harsh reality of life is that no one can be
perfect and that we are
going to fail from time to time.
I
was put in charge of leading the class through a choral reading of a
short story while the teacher conducted a test for the district on
the few remaining students that couldn't take it last week. Because
the content of this test is sensitive information the teacher took
each student out into the hallway in order to administer the test.
She was just outside the door and within earshot in case anything
went horribly wrong so I wasn't too worried about being left
completely alone, but
even still the students were largely off task while I was trying to
get them to focus on the assignment at hand.
I
started becoming frustrated that they were not listening to my
instructions or following along with what I was trying to teach them
about the story so I thought back to my discipline course last
semester to see what my options were. My mentor teacher already has a
few disciplinary strategies in place so I went with these to try and
get the classroom under control. First off I tried her method of
counting down from 5 on my hand to signal that when I reach zero all
voices should be off and eyes should be on me for further
instructions. This initially worked, but shortly after we resumed
choral reading students started to get off task again. Since this
strategy had failed I moved to my next available punishment: a group
contingency combined with the time owed strategy from Randall
Sprick's Discipline in
the Secondary Classroom
(122). I reminded them that their teacher wasn't the only person in
the room who could administer punishments for misbehavior and added
30 seconds (she does increments of 30 rather than 15 in order to curb
behaviors at a quicker rate and allows the students to earn their
time back before class ends) to their final time and still they chose
to ignore my instruction.
At
this point in time my mentor teacher had finished with the final
student and returned to classroom. She immediately had the class
under control within a few seconds using nearly the exact same method
I had tried to use and gave them a lecture about showing me the same
courtesy as they do for her. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I could
almost feel my face burning from embarrassment that I was unable to
get these students to follow the classroom rules when their teacher
could.
After
class ended my mentor teacher and I had a brief conference to discuss
what I thought I could have done better in order to get the students
to listen to me and the only answer I could think of was that maybe I
wasn't using a serious enough tone to convey my point them and that I
would need to work on my “teacher voice” for the future. After
that she asked me if I had a behavior strategy of my own that I could
use similar to her counting down method and that if I didn't I should
come up with one and implement it in class for tomorrow. As soon as I
got home I found Sprick's text and flipped through it looking for a
strategy that I could use for myself so that students would know that
they were doing something that wasn't conducive to their learning.
After an hour of searching I came to the conclusion that it doesn't
matter what technique I choose because the underlying cause of the
issue was that the students felt they didn't need to show me the same
kind of behavior they showed their teacher. Maybe because they don't
think of me as one of their teachers, even though I am. Hopefully
when she lectured the students about respecting the adults in the
room this can open up the opportunity for me to develop these much
needed skills.
In
the end it doesn't matter that I failed today as much as what I did
afterwards to learn from the failure and how I grow from it moving
forward.
Good afternoon Nate,
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience at my last placement. Because I was worried about a repeat at this placement, my MT and I discussed ways that I could get involved right out of the gate. It can be really intimidating to have the students all by yourself. My MT this semester refers to me constantly. "Mrs. Lathrop is going to ..." She makes sure I'm involved and that has helped my credibility immensely. It sounds like your MT gave you some feedback and ideas at least. She's trying to support you. It can be really overwhelming even for old ladies like me. I can't imagine being a younger teacher.
Mr. Ames, thank you so much for sharing this challenging experience! It sounds like you implemented strategies that you and your MT had discussed, and it sounds like students were testing you; this is normal, and you are not alone. I had a similar experience when moved from a high school to a middle school in my student teaching experience.
ReplyDeleteIt is challenging, but the fact that you’re viewing it as a learning experience—and one that you can analyze—is outstanding. The fact that your MT is supporting your efforts to be viewed by students as another teacher in the classroom is icing on the cake. You got this!